18th Street Viaduct Project Public Meeting
- Date: 06/14/2018 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Location: City Hall Council Chambers
405 6th Street
Sioux City, Iowa 51101
The City of Sioux City will host a public meeting to present and discuss the proposed 18th Street Viaduct (Overpass) and additional street improvements in the Hoeven Valley Area on Thursday, June 14. The proposed viaduct would begin near the existing 18th Street and Steuben Street intersection, extend to the west over the railroad tracks owned by the Union Pacific Railroad and Canadian National Railroad, and terminate at Floyd Boulevard. The construction of the viaduct would result in the closure of the 11th Street and 18th Street railroad crossings and the potential closure of the 28th Street railroad crossing.
The expected benefits of the 18th Street Viaduct include:
- a reduction in delays for motorists traveling in this area;
- less train horn noise in the corridor;
- more reliable and reduced response time for emergency service vehicles destined for the Hoeven Valley area;
- improved rail switching operations;
- improved opportunities for existing and future industries with rail access;
- improved pedestrian and bicycle connectivity to the trail along the west bank of the Floyd River; and
- improved safety for all motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists.
The City is also in the process of applying for a grant to fund construction of the viaduct through the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (USDOT) Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) program. As part of the application, the City will be requesting letters of support from business and property owners to show local support for this project.
The public meeting will be held Thursday, June 14, 2018, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at City Hall, 5th Floor Council Chambers (405 6th Street). A short presentation will kick-off the meeting with an open house opportunity afterwards to view exhibits and speak with City staff and the engineers who designed the viaduct. Additional project information can be found at www.sioux-city.org/18thStreetViaduct.