Applicant FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Sioux City Housing Authority Applicant Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

  • What is the Housing Choice Voucher Program?

    The Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly known as Section 8) provides tenant-based assistance, in the form of a voucher, to low-income families, for rental units of their choice in the private market. Program applicants choose from a variety of housing options, including apartments, duplexes, single-family homes and townhomes which meet program requirements.
  • How does the Housing Choice Voucher Program work?

    Program participants issued a housing voucher are responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of their choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. The unit may include the participant's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health, safety and affordability, as determined by the Sioux City Housing Authority. A housing subsidy is paid to the property owner directly by the Housing Authority on behalf of the participant. The participant then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the property owner and the amount subsidized by the program. A participant's rent plus utility contribution is usually about 30 percent of their monthly income depending on the unit the family selects.
  • What are the requirements to be in this program?

    Income eligibility limits for the voucher program are set by the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as percentages of the local area median income. Eligibility guidelines are posted on our website. Only applicants who meet income limits are eligible.
  • How does a voucher help me in paying my rent?

    As a program participant, generally, you pay 30% of your adjusted monthly income for rent and the Housing Authority pays the balance to the owner.
  • How much can the voucher pay towards my rent?

    You will be informed of the Payment Standard for your household size and income at the issuance of your voucher.
  • How long is the wait time for the Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Program at SCHA?

    All submitted applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. Applicants eligible for an admission preference may be served sooner.
  • When do you accept applications?

    Sioux City Housing Authority’s website will accept applications 24 hours a day and the application has a Google Translate option for multiple languages.
  • Where do I go to apply online for the Sioux City Housing Authority’s Housing Choice Voucher Program?

    To better serve applicants, you may apply online at Sioux City Housing Authority uses the WaitListCheck secure portal for applicants to apply. The direct link is located on our webpage.
  • Can I use my smart phone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc.) to submit an application?

    You are welcome to use your smart phone to apply.
  • I don't have internet access at home. Do you know where I can go to complete my application?

    There are number of places where you can go to access the internet if you have a laptop or smart phone. Sioux City Public Libraries have computer and internet access. You may also bring your own laptop/smart phone and utilize public Wi-Fi at most fast food restaurants and many retail establishments.
  • Can someone else sign up for me?

    You are welcome to have a friend/family member complete the application for you, however, please be advised that you must certify that the information being provided is true and complete.
  • I don't have access to transportation to that location. Can I complete my application over the phone?

    You may submit a written request to the SCHA for a paper application if you are unable to apply online, but this process will be longer and require more action on your part. Is it possible for a family member/neighbor, apartment community leasing office, community support worker, or social services agency representative could assist you with obtaining internet access?
  • I’m elderly, what type of assistance can I get to complete an application?

    You may have a family member or friends assist you with the application. If they are not available, is it possible to have a neighbor, apartment community leasing office, community support worker, or social services agency representative assist you?
  • I have a request for a reasonable accommodation due to a disability. What is your policy on handling such requests?

    Requests for reasonable accommodations are reviewed on a case by case basis. An applicant or tenant may request an accommodation at any time. Please review SCHA’s website for our entire policy on reasonable accommodation requests.
  • What if someone in my family does not have a birth certificate?

    It is required that either birth certificates or passports be submitted for everyone in your household. If you cannot get the identification needed by your designated deadline, we will accept receipts of purchase showing that you've purchased a replacement birth certificate. You will be required to provide the actual document before SCHA is able to provide rental assistance. Please review our SCHA’s website for additional resources on how to obtain vital documents by state if needed.

    If you have ordered your birth certificate but have not yet received your vital document, we will accept the following documentation to proceed with your application:

    If you ordered your birth certificate online, please provide a copy of your email confirmation.

    If you ordered your birth certificate directly through the state via mail, please provide a copy of the application for birth certificate as well as a copy of the check or money order you are mailing/have mailed in.

  • How do I complete an application if I don’t have social security numbers for household members?

    It is required that Social Security cards are submitted for everyone in your household, if they have a Social Security number. If you cannot get the identification needed by your designated deadline, we will accept documentation from the Social Security Office showing that you've ordered a replacement card.

    If any family member does not have a Social Security number, they must complete and submit the following two forms:

    • Self-Certification Declaring No Social Security
    • Listing Of Non-Contending Family Members

    Both forms can be found at

    Eligibility for federal housing assistance is limited to U.S. citizens and applicants who have eligible immigration status. If you or a member of your household is not a citizen or does not have eligible immigration status, you may apply if at least one member of the applicant household can submit proof of citizenship or eligible immigration status. If a non-contending member of the household doesn’t have a social security number, please provide a copy of the any state issued photo ID they might have and complete both forms above.

  • What if someone in my family does not have a photo I.D.?

    It is required that photo I.D.'s are submitted for everyone in your household over the age of 18. There are no exceptions.
  • How do I list my income on the application?

    Take the hourly rate of pay X the average number of hours you work per week. Then take your weekly income X 52 weeks to determine your estimated annual income. For example: $10 hour X 30 hours per week = $300 x 52 = $15,600 (annual income). If your hours fluctuate, please provide the average number of hours you have worked for the last 3 pay periods. Your income information will be verified at the time of admission onto the Housing Choice Voucher waiting list.
  • Do I have to put (friend, spouse, or family members’) income on my application and if I do, will it hurt my chances for being selected?

    Your application should be as true and complete as possible. If you receive benefit from (name’s) income then you should include it. Your income information will be verified at the time of admission onto the Housing Choice Voucher waiting list.
  • If my kids live with me and are 18 years old or older, do I have to include their income?

    Yes, all family member income needs to be disclosed.
  • Do I need to do anything else once I complete the application at

    Yes, You must also provide the following supporting documentation for your household:

    • Social Security cards for all family members
    • An Official Birth Certificate for each household member
    • A current state issued Photo I.D. (such as a driver's license) for each adult
    • All required forms and supporting documentation above is due within 10 calendar days from date of application.
  • What happens if I submit my application but fail to provide the supporting documentation and three required forms within 10 calendar days?

    Your application is not complete until your supporting documentation is received. We are unable to process an incomplete application due to failure to provide all requested documentation within 10 calendar days. Written notices will not be provided to applicants for submitting an incomplete application. You may reapply for assistance at any time.
  • I was on the website and started to complete my application. I lost the internet connection in the middle. How do I go back in?

    You will need to recomplete the application from the beginning if you did not receive a confirmation number.
  • What do I do if the website isn’t available and I cannot enter my application at

    Please contact SCHA at (712) 279-6348. Please select option 2 for staff directory and select extension #9 for the front desk.
  • I’d like to submit a handwritten application instead of applying online at What is SCHA’s policy on handling such requests?

    Applicants who do not have internet access or who do not wish to apply online may apply by mailing a written request to the Sioux City Housing Authority at P.O. Box 447, Sioux City, IA, 51102. Completed paper applications must be mailed back to the Sioux City Housing Authority. Please note this process will be longer and require more action on your part.

    Applicants may also complete this request in person at Sioux City Housing Authority’s office located at 405 6th Street, Room 107.

  • I have limited English language proficiency. What other language types does your application process support?

    The online application is available in English and multiple other languages through Google Translate. Please select your language in top left hand corner. If you have a need for oral interpretation of the application in an additional language, Persons with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) will be permitted to use, at their own expense, an interpreter of their own choosing, in place of or as a supplement to the free language services offered by the SCHA. The interpreter may be a family member or friend. Please contact the SCHA to arrange for language services if needed.
  • If my address or family income changes while I'm on the waiting list, what should I do?

    You must notify the Housing Authority in writing of any change of address or in change of family composition.

    If you do not notify the Housing Authority in writing of a change of address and any correspondence sent to you is returned, or if you do not respond to a scheduled appointment or any request for additional information, you will be removed from the waiting list and you will need to reapply.

  • Does SCHA have any admissions preferences?

    Yes, please view our waiting list admission preferences at
  • I have a question that was not answered. Who can I talk to?

    Our website includes detailed information. You can also contact the SCHA at 712-279-6348.
  • I’d like more information about SCHA and the housing program it provides.

    We have additional housing program information available on our website found at
  • Does SCHA offer assistance with security deposit?

    Yes, we offer a Security Deposit Assistance Program for applicants and tenants on the Housing Choice Voucher Program, and a City Wide Security Deposit Assistance Program for citizens who wish to rent in Sioux City who are not receiving rental assistance. Please go to www.sioux-city/housing for additional information.