Sioux City Security Deposit Assistance is designed to provide security deposit assistance to eligible households if they have no other means of obtaining a security deposit, in order to secure rental housing in Sioux City city limits. Sioux City Housing Authority (SCHA) is the administrator of the program funded by the Community Development Block Grant and determines eligibility. SCHA provides guarantees of rental security deposits based on program guidelines to eligible persons. The tenant is responsible to make monthly rental payments.
If you have found an apartment and need assistance with a security deposit, please download an application from our website or contact our office at 279-6348 for more information. Applications are accepted from 8:00am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
Please note this is not an emergency service. Your application will be processed in the order it was received, and can take up to 5 business days from the time a completed application has been received for a decision to be made as to whether the application is accepted or denied.
City Wide Security Deposit Assistance is available only to individuals who are U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals (herein referred to as citizens and nationals), or noncitizens that have eligible immigration status.
All approved applicants must be low income as defined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Total countable family income may not exceed 80 percent of the median income for Sioux City, Iowa. Applicants are eligible once every 5 years for this program.
The maximum annual incomes for applicants are currently as follows and will be adjusted as published in the Federal Register:
||Maximum Annual Income for Eligibility
|1 Person Family||$38,950
|2 Person Family||$44,500
|3 Person Family||$50,050
|4 Person Family||$55,600
|5 Person Family||$60,050
|6 Person Family||$64,500
|7 Person Family||$68,950
|8 Person Family||$73,400
Security Deposit Amount Which Can Be Approved Will Be the Lowest # of A, B, C, or D
|1 - 2 people
|3 - 4 people||$820
|5 - 6 people||$1027
|7 - 8 people||$1108
|9 - 10 people||$1274
|11 - 12 people||$1440|
|Number of legal bedrooms in unit||Maximum Assistance
Actual rent for the home.
Option DSecurity Deposit requested.
In order to be eligible, an applicant must:
- Meet the income eligibility guidelines
- Applicants total gross income may not exceed 80% of median income as defined by HUD
- Income will be verified utilizing the 1040 Income Method
- Child support is not countable income under this program
- Not currently be living in the apartment or storing their belongings in the apartment at time of application
- Proposed rent plus utility allowance cannot exceed 50% of the household’s gross income. Applicants must have the ability to maintain the monthly housing costs (rent & utilities)
- Under no circumstances will assistance be approved if it results in overcrowding the unit. No more than 2 people to a bedroom plus 1
- Applicants with a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8), are not eligible under this program. They may apply directly through the Section 8 Program
- In order to receive Sioux City Security Deposit Assistance, please submit your completed application and all required verification below and an appointment will be scheduled by phone. The Housing Assistance Center is located on the first floor of City Hall in Room 107. Applications are accepted from 8:00am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
- A copy of a Social Security card for EACH household member listed on the application and a photo I.D and/or some other proof of age (i.e.: birth certificate) for all household members.
- The attached Release of Information form must be filled out on the back, signed, and dated by each household member 18 years of age or older and returned with this application.
- Proof of all income received by or on behalf of all family members for past 3 months.
- Last 3 months bank statements.
- Most Recent Tax Return.
Frequently Asked Questions Before Applying
If you (applicant) are already living in the unit, you are not eligible for this program.
This program is for people who have NOT yet moved in or have possession (keys) of a rental unit.
You cannot move in or have possession of the rental unit until AFTER your application has been reviewed AND approved by Sioux City Housing Authority staff.
Applicants MUST currently have income and have had income for the past 30 days. If you just started a job last week and didn’t work for 3 weeks prior to that, your application will be denied.
The rent + utility allowance cannot exceed 50% of the household’s gross income – see examples below.
if the rent is $550 w/all utilities included and the household’s gross (before taxes) monthly income is $800, you would NOT qualify. $800 x 50% = $400 and is less than $550 rent.
if you want to rent a 2 BR house and tenant pays all utilities ($650 rent + $155 utility allowance = $805), the applicant’s gross monthly income would have to be AT LEAST $1,615. $1,615 x 50% = $808 and it is MORE than $805 (rent + UA).
The applicant MUST provide birth certificates, social security card for ALL household members and photo id for all adults. (not necessarily originals, unlike on our Housing Choice Voucher program) when they turn in the application. However, we will NOT accept receipts that you have ordered them. You MUST have them!