The FY 2019 Historic Pearl District Façade Improvement Program application process is now open!
Applications are due by 4:30 p.m. on September 28, 2018. The application and design manual can be found here: Application and Design Manual
Questions? Please contact Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org or 712-224-5136.
Interested in more information about the district? Visit the Historic Pearl District's Facebook page!
In 2005, the update to the City of Sioux City’s Comprehensive Plan was completed. This plan specifically recommends that that cultural and entertainment district be created on the west side of downtown. Therefore, in 2006, City staff began meeting with property owners and other interested parties to gain direction for the plan. In early 2008, the plan, entitled “West End District Plan” was adopted. The name “West End” was later changed by property owners to the “Historic Pearl District”.
The district plan was embarked upon in an attempt to establish a direction for redevelopment of the Historic Pearl District in downtown Sioux City. The District is roughly bound by 7th Street to the north, Pearl and Douglas Streets to the east, Perry Creek to the west, and the railroad right-of-way to the south. This location will serve as a western gateway into Sioux City’s downtown. The area incorporates about 60 acres and over 70 parcels.
In addition to construction of public facilities, private development has been occurring in the area as well. A 90 unit assisted living complex, complemented by a future adult day center which anchors the north end of the study area. In addition, a new hotel and conference center has opened just east of the district boundary. There has also been a large private investment in properties located in the 4th and Pearl Streets area. These projects, in addition to the district’s desirable location in the heart of Sioux City’s vibrant downtown, makes the Historic Pearl District a desirable area to live, work, and play.
There were several goals included in the final district plan intended to guide the future redevelopment of the Historic Pearl District, according to the following:
- Goal 1: Clearly define the desired uses for the area.
- Goal 2: Preserve and enhance the unique urban design of the traditional downtown.
- Goal 3: Strengthen the streetscape design of the Historic Pearl District to promote pedestrian-friendly activities.
- Goal 4: Coordinate with the property and business owners to achieve the vision through creative funding and implementation opportunities.
- Goal 5: Recognize the historic nature of the Historic Pearl District and direct appropriate infill development that is in character with a traditional urban downtown environment.