Welcome to the City of Sioux City Lead Hazard Control Grant (LHCG) website! The City of Sioux City is excited to announce that $4.1 million has been received from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the purpose of removing lead and other health hazards in homes. Improvements made to homes often include items such as new windows, doors, interior and exterior paint, etc. Please read the information below to find out how to get your home on the list for this exciting program!
You must meet all three requirements below in order to participate in the LHCG:
- Live in or own a home / apartment built before 1978 in Sioux City, Iowa. Rental and owner-occupied units are eligible to apply.
- Have at least one child 5 years of age or younger in the home / apartment on average at least ten hours per week
- Have a household income at or below 80% of the Area Median Income for Woodbury County. For example, the maximum household income for a family of four is $54,250. For specific income limit information, please call 719-279-6328.
Are you interested in taking part in the City of Sioux City's Lead Hazard Control Program? Getting started is easy!
- Print off the application below and fill it out. Please make sure that you select the correct application. If you are a homeowner living in the home you own, click on the first application. If you are a tenant or landlord, please click on the second application. If you do not have a printer available, please call 712-279-6328 and request a paper copy of the application.
- Gather all of the required information listed on page 6.
- Submit your application. Please call the number on the front of the application or stop by the City of Sioux City Neighborhood Services Division office. We are located in City Hall, at 405 6th Street, in Room 305. There is always someone available Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM to answer questions and receive your application.
- After we receive your application and required information, we will let you know if you qualify.
Questions? Please feel free to call 712-279-6328 or e-mail Terah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: I am a landlord, can I participate?
Answer: Yes, landlords / rental units are eligible to participate. The tenants have to meet the eligibility requirements listed above and the landlord must provide a match based on project cost. Please see the chart below.
|Project Total||Required Match|
|$20,001 - $30,000||20%|
|$30,001 - $40,000||25%|
|$40,001 - $50,000||30%|
|$50,000 and Above||35%|
Question: Will I have to move out of my home during the construction?
Answer: It depends on the location of lead hazards in your home. Generally, there is some relocation required. However, contractors are required to complete the work within 14 days.
Question: Will I have to pay for any of the improvements made to my home?
Answer: Landlords have to provide a match based on project cost. There is no match required for homeowners. A three year forgivable mortgage is placed on your property. A third is forgiven each year. If you maintain ownership and live in the home for three years, the balance is forgiven.