By utilizing the expertise of the Sioux City Historic Preservation Commission members, researching current information and partnering with other groups and local, state and and national organizations, the Commission will:
- Advise the City Council and other groups on preservation issues;
- Assist businesses, groups, and individuals in preservation efforts;
- Educate the residents of Sioux City about methods and merits of preservation;
- Safeguard the City's historic and cultural heritage by preserving sites of significance;
- Identify, protect, and enhance potential historic attractions for tourism and business.
The Historic Preservation Commission oversees and makes recommendations on properties of historic significance. Sioux City is home to 2 National Monuments, 2 Local Landmarks, 4 National Register Historic Districts containing over 150 properties, 2 Historic Area Zoning Districts, and over 40 individually listed properties on the National Register of Historic Places. Click the links below to view boundaries of Sioux City's National Register Historic Districts.
- Rose Hill National Historic District
- Fourth Street National Historic District
- Morningside College National Historic District
- St. Boniface National Historic District
Certificate of Appropriateness
A certificate of appropriateness is required upon any proposed additions or modifications to or the demolition of, in whole or in part, a historic landmark or structure within a historic zoning district (HA). See Zoning Code Subsection 25.03.190.4, Historic Area Design Standards, for accepted treatments. Historic Fourth Street District and Historic Pearl Street District design guidelines are found below. Certificates of Appropriateness for exterior alterations to structures in HA zoning districts require review by the Design Review Committee, and a public hearing before the Historic Preservation Commission. The Historic Preservation Commission makes recommendations on Certificates of Appropriateness to the City Council. See the Applications link for a Certificate of Appropriateness application, or contact Planning Staff at (712) 279-6340.
Historic District Design Guidelines
For additional information, visit the Sioux City Historic Preservation website: www.siouxcityhp.org.