8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday-Friday, except holidays
712-279-6132, Option 1
Automatic Meter Reading System (AMR)
The Sioux City Water Meter Division contracted with Ferguson Waterworks Inc. to install Radio Read units for improved automated water meter reading throughout the City. These devices use radio wave frequency to transmit your water meter read to the City’s mobile equipment which then downloads the read information into our billing system. The use of these Radio Read units will result in improved reading capabilities, more accurate utility billing, improved customer service and improved efficiency for Customer Service and Meter Reading staff.
Customer Service Supervisor
Customer Service Division Manager/City Clerk
City Hall is closed on the following holidays: New Years Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The City installs a Radio Read Meter Interface Unit (MIU) equipped with a 20 year battery in your home or business. The Radio Read Unit is connected to your water meter; it reads the usage every 15 minutes and sends out a radio signal with the unique Radio Read ID and the read from the meter every 14 seconds. Once a month we drive through each neighborhood and our mobile equipment collects this data over the radio wave frequency, this read is then used for monthly billing.
- Call City of Sioux City Customer Service at 712-279-6132, select Option 1, to schedule your Radio Read install appointment today!
- There is no charge for the installation and it does not increase the cost of the City’s service to you. Automatic meter reading is designed to help control costs by increasing meter reading accuracy and efficiency.
- Yes, the City does require an adult be present during the service call, we will not enter your premises unless authorized to do so by someone present that is age 18 or older.
- Installation will take approximately 20 minutes, depending on how easily we can access your water meter.
- If you have scheduled an appointment and find that you cannot be home at the scheduled time, no problem, call Customer Service at 712-279-6132, Option 1, to reschedule.
- We will collect a new read from your meter with our mobile equipment and call you with the new information. You can still visually read your meter yourself. If you still disagree we will send a City Water Service Representative to your home or business to determine what may be wrong and correct any problems.
- Yes, the Radio Read unit will let us be able to detect possible leaks in your plumbing faster and notify you of problems before they become serious and costly. Accuracy will improve and you’ll pay only for water you actually use each month, no estimates. In addition to speed and reliability we won’t have to enter your home except for periodic maintenance or replacement of system components when needed.