Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Traffic Tickets/criminal Charges/Police Matters

Where is your office located?
We are located on the 5th floor of City Hall, at the northeast corner of 6th and Douglas Streets in downtown Sioux City.

I have been charged with a crime or received a traffic ticket, how do I find out when and where to go to court?
The Woodbury County Clerk of Court is the custodian of criminal and traffic records. For information, please call (712)279-6623. The Clerk of Court is located at the Law Enforcement Center at the northeast corner of 7th and Douglas Streets in downtown Sioux City.

I have been charge with a crime. How can I talk to the Prosecutor?
The City prosecutes only simple misdemeanors and municipal infractions, including violations of the City Traffic Code committed within the city limits of Sioux City. If your court documents reference a Sioux City municipal ordinance, then you may call the City's Prosecutor - (712) 279-6318. If your court documents do not reference a Sioux City municipal ordinance, then you probably need to call the Woodbury County Attorney's Office - (712)279-6454.

Who can I talk to regarding Police misconduct?
Sioux City Police Department Office of Professional Standards - (712)279-6360.

Legal Representation

The City cannot represent private parties or give them legal advice.

For informational purposes only, see the links on the right of your screen for some websites that may assist in your search for an attorney. The City does not endorse any of these informational sources, and makes no guarantee of results for persons using them.

Housing/Building Code/Zoning/Other City Ordinances

I have a question about housing code enforcement, building code enforcement or zoning code enforcement, who can I talk to?
For housing or building code questions, please call (712)224-5126. For zoning questions, please call (712)279-6226.

I want to know what a City Ordinance means, can you help?
The City department responsible for day-to-day administration and enforcement of an ordinance can answer general questions regarding how the ordinances are applied by the City. If the department is unable to answer your question, it can refer you to the city attorney with expertise in the particular area involved. While we cannot give you legal advice, we will try to help in any way we can.

How can I get a copy of a City Ordinance?
You can access the City Code here: You can view a hard copy of the City Code at the City Clerk's Office located on the 1st floor of City Hall, 405 6th Street. City Hall is located at the northeast corner of 6th and Douglas Streets in downtown Sioux City.


Who is responsible for maintenance and snow removal of the sidewalk in front of a business or home?
Responsibility falls on the abutting property owner to remove all snow and ice from sidewalks within twelve hours of the last snow fall. Sioux City Municipal Code Section 17.24.010.

What can I do if my neighbor won’t scoop his sidewalks or they throw their snow in my yard when they shovel?
It is always best to resolve differences personally, without involving authorities, if possible. However, if the abutting property owner does not remove the snow or ice from their sidewalk within twelve hours after the last snow fall stops, you may call our Inspection Services Division at 224-5216. The City does not get involved in neighbor disputes, so unfortunately, we can offer no assistance if someone deposits snow upon a neighboring yard.

I don’t have anywhere to put the snow after I scoop it, can I just push it down to the curb and into the street?
It is unlawful for any person to remove snow, ice or accumulations of snow or ice from private premises and to deposit or place it upon any public highway, street, avenue, alley or public park within the city. Sioux City Municipal Code Section 17.24.035.

My neighbor uses his snow blower during the middle of the night every time it snows and wakes me up, is there anything that I can do?
Snow blowers may be operated daily between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. inclusive. Sioux City Municipal Code Section 8.68.040(4).

Can I ride my snow mobile or ATV around the City after it snows?
Snow mobiles and ATV’s may not be driven on river dikes, at landfills, any public property, or on the streets or sidewalks within in the City limits. Vehicles may not be operated upon the private property of another without permission. Sioux City Municipal Code Section 10.30.

Can I leave my car parked on the street if it snows?
Vehicles parked illegally on city streets which interfere with snow removal will be declared a nuisance per se and will be towed at the owner’s expense. Otherwise, unless there is a snow emergency, normal parking rules and limitations apply. Sioux City Municipal Code Section 10.82.030.

What is a snow emergency, and how will I find out if there is one in effect?
A snow emergency is declared by the mayor whenever winter weather is likely to produce very dangerous travel conditions or large amounts of snow. The announcement of a snow emergency will be made on all local radio and television stations. Under certain circumstances, Calendar Parking or other parking rules may be placed into effect. See Sioux City Municipal Code Chapter 10.84 for details regarding snow emergencies.