Call the Parks & Recreation Office at 712-279-6126
Stop into the Parks & Recreation Office at 401 Gordon Drive
Payment must be made a time of reservation.
Where is Cone Park located?
Cone Park is located at 3800 Line Drive in the southeast part of Sioux City. The park is situated near I-29 and the Highway 20 bypass to the east of the ibp Ice Center and Lewis & Clark Ballpark. Keep up with the latest on the Cone Park Sioux City Facebook page.
When does the tubing hill and skating rink open/close for the season?
The tubing hill will open for the season when temperatures are consistently cool enough to keep a solid snow base, generally around 32 degrees. The ice skating rink has a refrigeration system to offer extended use through the winter months. Watch the Cone Park Sioux City Facebook page or the Sioux City website news area for official opening and closing dates.
What is the Cone Park Closing Policy?
The Parks and Recreation Department would like to inform park users there are several situations that may impact the use and availability of the tubing hill and/or ice skating rink at Cone Park during the season. In consideration of our user’s safety and facility operations, we would like to inform every one of the conditions that may limit or prohibit park usage.
1. Mechanical Failure – If a mechanical failure occurs to park equipment to include the snow groomer, Zamboni, tub lift, etc., the use of the tubing hill and/or ice skating rink may be limited or prohibited.
2. Severe Cold – If the forecasted high temperature for the day is at or below zero, access to the ice skating rink and/or tubing hill may be prohibited for the safety of the public. To properly notify the public in advance, the closure will be determined by weather forecast.
3. Rain – The park will immediately close in the event of rain. Rain events cause unsafe conditions for tubers and ice skaters. Use of the facility during these conditions may also cause severe damage to the park grounds and equipment. To properly notify the public in advance, the closure will be determined by weather forecast.
4. Blizzard/Heavy Snow – Use of the tubing hill and/or ice skating rink may be limited or prohibited when there is a severe snowstorm and travel is not recommended. If the park is open during these conditions, additional grooming may be required during the tubing and/or ice skating sessions to ensure proper surfaces.
5. Unseasonably warm temperatures, high humidity, or drastic temperature changes – Iowa experiences differing weather conditions during the winter months. Unseasonably warm temperatures may cause slushy, muddy, and wet conditions at the park. Warm temperatures and high humidity can create unsafe conditions that can cause damage to the grounds and equipment. If there are significant temperature changes from one day to the next, a closure may be required to allow time to make or groom snow for the tubing hill, as well as, make fresh ice for the skating rink. Depending on the severity of the changing weather conditions, a closure may need to occur for an extended period of time in order to prepare the grounds for use.
When the tubing hill and/or ice skating rink is limited or prohibited for use, the Cone Park Lodge, including the concessions, and the outdoor fire pit may remain open for public use during operating hours.
Park users with an existing reservation will be allowed to transfer their reservations to a different date or receive a full refund if any of the above circumstances occur. Those with reservations will be contacted directly by phone and/or email. If the park closes prior to the completion of a session, park users will be offered a free pass to use their next visit.
The hill itself is 83 feet tall, the tubing run is about 700 feet long and 126 feet wide, and the carpet lift is 450 feet long.
Is the tubing hill ADA accessible?
We recommend users with mobility issues utilize the Off-Hours Park Rental option for accommodations. If proper assistance is available during normal operating hours for any of these individuals, they may attend any session.
What forms of payment are accepted?
Cash, credit cards and debit cards are accepted. Checks are NOT accepted. ALL sales are FINAL. No refunds or exchanges.
Can I accompany my child down the hill?
We will have a limited supply of double tubes available to assist small children. Minimum age is 5 years old.
Is the Day Lodge ADA accessible?
Yes. The lodge meets all ADA requirements.
Are gift cards available?
Yes. You may call the Parks & Rec office at 712-279-6126 and pay with a credit card over the phone; or, you can stop into the office and buy them with cash, check, or credit card.
There is a run-out area to decrease your speed and a reverse grade at the bottom of the hill to slow you down.
How do you get back up the hill?
A carpet lift will take you to the top of the hill. It is like an escalator.
When are the laser lights on?
The laser lights will only be operating during Snow Glow Tubing, Friday & Saturday nights from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm and/or 9:00 pm – 11:00 pm.
Where does the water come from to make the snow?
The water to make the snow is pumped from the storm water and run off in the Sertoma Park pond.
If the tubing hill is full, can I ice skate?
Yes. The fee to ice skate is $5.00. You may bring your own skates or rent skates for $3.00.
How do you take care of the ice at the ice skating rink?
Parks & Recreation staff will be using a Zamboni to take care of the ice sheet.
Can I bring my own skates for the ice skating rink?
Yes. Customers may bring their own ice skates.
When does music play?
Music will be played at all times - day and night.
How can I get a Low Income Pass?
Low income passes are available at the Parks & Recreation Administrative Office at 401 Gordon Drive. Call 712-279-6126 before stopping down for required documentation.
Can I have a birthday party at Cone Park during normal operating hours?
Yes. We offer "Snowtastic" Birthday Parties - includes 10 admissions for tubing and skating & skate rentals, 2 pizzas, 10 hot or cold beverages, 10 ice cream treats, a special tube for the birthday person, and a reserved table. More than 10 guests, you pay an additional fee per person. For more information on birthday parties, call 712-279-6126.
Are season passes available?
Not at this time. They may be available in the future.