Fares may be paid in cash (exact amount only), or with tokens, monthly passes, or 10-ride punch tickets. Transfers are free, and issued, upon request, at the time of boarding.
Reduced fares are available to people with disabilities, to senior citizens (62 or older), Medicare cardholders, and to students through high school age. Children under age five ride free with an adult.
To qualify for senior citizen tickets or to pay a reduced fare, please provide valid and proper identification. This may include a Medicare card or a state issued ID card.
To qualify for disability tickets or a reduced fare, please provide valid and proper documentation. Application forms, for reduced fare, are available at the Martin Luther King Jr. Transportation Center or the Sioux City Transit Office. When the application process for reduced fare is approved, the individual will be issued a photo identification card.
Veterans with a service-connected disability are eligible to ride the Sioux City Transit System's fixed route buses free. Eligible veterans must show the bus driver their photo identification issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which identifies a service-connected disability. The VA identification card which documents a service-connected disability is the only acceptable document that will be accepted.
- Adult Cash Fare: $1.80
- Adult Monthly Pass: $48.00
- Tokens: $1.80 per token or Pack of 20 tokens for $31.00
- Ten-Ride Punch Ticket: $18.00
- Student Ten-Ride Punch Ticket: $15.50
- Senior Citizen/Medicare Cardholder/Disability 10-ride Ticket: $9.00
- Senior Citizen/Medicare Cardholder/Disability Monthly: $42.00
- Senior Citizen/Medicare Cardholder/Disability Cash Fare: $.90
- Youth Cash Fare: $1.55
- Children under 5: Free (Accompanied by an adult)
- Transfer: Free
- Determine which bus stop on your route is most convenient for you.
- Arrive at your stop five minutes before the scheduled arrival of the bus. Please wait on the correct side of the street.
- Make sure the bus driver sees you as the bus approaches your stop. Waving your arm helps. Before boarding the bus, check the route number and name. Ask the bus driver, if you are not sure about your route.
- Have your fare ready at boarding time. Bus drivers do not make change. All fares are for a one-way trip.
- Please let elderly and disabled people board first. When the bus arrives, enter through the door, pay your fare, and find a seat. Ask for a transfer if you need to take more than one bus to get your destination. If you have a question about your return trip, please ask the bus driver.
- About one block from your stop, push the bell strip located by the window. This will signal the bus driver that you want to get off the bus.
- After the bus stops, move to the rear door to exit the bus.
- Shirts and shoes are required.
- Fighting, throwing things, pushing, shouting, rough behavior, and vulgar language are forbidden.
- Smoking is prohibited on the bus.
- For safety reasons, children should sit on a seat and not on an adult's lap, if the child is able to do so.
- Please take all of your items with you when you leave the bus.
- Seats at the front of the bus are reserved for seniors or persons with disabilities. Please give them up when necessary.
- Remember...this is your bus. Please help by following the safety rules, not littering, and reporting any vandalism to the driver.
- Stay seated while the bus is moving.
- Arms and other extremities should be kept inside windows of the bus.
- Food or drink, if open, is not allowed on the bus.
- Exact change. Many falls occur while passengers are looking in purses and billfolds for their fare.
- Take your time and be careful when getting on and off the bus.
- Your safety is our concern!
Lost & Found
The Sioux City Transit System is not responsible for any personal items left on the bus. Please make sure that you have all of your belongings before exiting the bus.
If you think you've lost something on the bus, contact the Sioux City Transit System at 712-279-6404. If you find an item, please give it to the driver.